Oncology specializes in the detection, investigation and treatment plan, clinical staging and monitoring of various types of cancer.
Oncology is one of the most dynamic domains in terms of evolution and discoveries with respect to not only diagnosis methods (tumor markers, specific imagistic investigations), but also treatment (targeted biological therapies, hormone therapies, modern immunotherapies). Oncologic assessment is complex and implies extended anamnesis corroborated with family history as well as with paraclinical investigations for cancer diagnosis confirmation, among which histopathologic examination (biopsy) is mandatory.
Once the cancer diagnosis has been confirmed, staging is of vital importance, since treatment and monitoring protocol is established according to the disease stage. The specialist in oncology is able to help the patient to understand the diagnosis and the stage of his condition, to further discuss treatment options, to ensure efficient symptoms management, as well as those resulted from the treatment itself, and last but not least, to provide emotional support and understanding for a better quality of life.
Assessments and recommendations during oncology consultations:
- investigation plan for clinical staging
- treatment plan following cancer staging (chemotherapy, radiotherapy, biologic therapy, immunotherapy, supportive care, surgical interventions)
- monitoring plan – frequency of monitoring visits, frequency and types of investigations
- palliative care counselling in advanced stages
- cancer pain management
- nutrition counselling, lifestyle changes, restrictions
- Preventing cancer from further spreading
- infections and complications prevention
Specialty - Oncology
Georgeta-Polixenia Iorga MD,