Pediatrics is the specialty that deals with the prophylaxis, diagnosis and treatment of children’s medical conditions, from new-borns to 18-year-olds, as well as with aspects concerning the child’s healthy development.
The pediatrician monitors the child’s growth and development in the early years of life, provides young parents with the necessary information related to healthy diet, vaccines or the prevention of certain conditions, identifies and treats acute disorders and provides treatment and monitoring for chronic pediatric conditions.
The most common conditions in small children are seasonal illnesses, but these can manifest violently and be a source of stress for parents, therefore a parents-pediatrician relationship rooted in communication and trust is of vital importance.
Assessments during Pediatric consultation:
- acute infectious diseases – bronchitis, pneumonia, laryngitis, rhinitis, pharyngitis, otitis media, tonsillitis, streptococcal infection, scarlet fever
- gastritis, gastroesophageal reflux in children,
- recurrent abdominal pain, abdominal colic
- premature baby care
- full-term baby care
- monitoring physical and neurologic development parameters
- pediatric nutrition counselling and diet diversification
- healthcare for children with food intolerance or allergies
- pediatric obesity- prevention, treatment, nutrition counselling
- vaccine counselling
- recurrent wheezing
- childhood illnesses: varicella, rubella, measles, roseola infantum, parvovirus infection, hand, foot, and mouth disease
- febrile seizures
- pediatric endocrine disorders
- urogenital pathologies, recurrent urinary tract infections
Specialty - Pediatrics
Iulia Florentina Tincu Md, PhD, Senior Lecturer